Check out this lovely summer recipe from Vaughn & Joni Jodar. This presentation mates perfectly with our just released 2011 Sangiovese! Pick up a bottle or two and enjoy this easy to make porch pairing!
3 cups canned chick-peas (3 cans), drained
½ cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
4 tablespoons finely chopped dill
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups freshly cooked or canned salmon, drained
1 ½ cups peeled, seeded, red ripe tomatoes cubed (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the chick-peas, onion, celery, garlic and herbs.
2. Add the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Toss and blend.
3. Drain the salmon and pick over to remove bones and soft skin.
4. Add the salmon, cubed tomatoes (if desired) to peas and toss to blend.
5. Serve chilled, garnished with cucumber slices if desired.
Tomatoes depend on availability, but they add a lot of color. We like to grill salmon every week during the summer, but canned salmon really does work effectively in this recipe. Serve dish with a crunchy loaf of fresh sourdough bread and enjoy!
Vaughn & Joni Jodar